Various kinds of lenses and their use – In photography, the lens functions to focus light until it is able to burn the capture medium (film). On the outside of the lens there are usually three rings, namely the focal length ring (for variable type lenses), the diaphragm ring, and the focus ring.
The length of the lens is usually called the Focal Length
Lens length affects:
a. DISTANCE photoshoot
b. ANGLE OF VIEW
d. DIAFRAGMA OPEN FACILITIES
Special lenses :
a. Macro Lens (commonly called Macro Lens)
b. Increase lens length (commonly called Tele Converter or Extender)
c. Lens correction perspective on the subject
d. Soft Lens (commonly called Soft Focus Lens)
- Standard Lens . This lens is also called normal lens. Measuring 50 mm and giving the character a natural shot.
- Wide- Angle Lens . This type of lens can be used to capture large subjects in tight spaces. The character of this lens is to make the subject smaller than the actual size. By using this type of lens, in the room we can photograph more people who line up when compared to a standard lens. The shorter the focus distance, the wider the view. The size of this lens varies from 17 mm, 24 mm, 28 mm and 35 mm.
- Fish Eye Lens . Fish eye lens is a wide angle lens with a diameter of 14 mm, 15 mm, and 16 mm. This lens provides a 180 degree view. The resulting image is curved.
- Telephoto Lens . Telephoto lenses are the opposite of wide angle lenses. The function of this lens is to bring the subject closer, but narrow the angle of view. Which includes a telephoto lens is a lens measuring 70 mm and above. Because the angle of view is narrow, the telephoto lens will blur the surrounding field. But this is not a problem because telephoto lenses are used to bring the view closer and focus on a particular subject.
- Zoom lens . Is a combination of a standard lens, wide angle lens, and telephoto. The size of the lens is not fixed, for example 80-200 mm. This lens is quite flexible and has a wide enough lens range. Therefore, the zoom lens is widely used, because the user just needs to rotate the lens size as needed.
- Macro Lenses . Macro lenses are used to take pictures of small objects.
Important Things We Must Know
G. Aperture / Lens Aperture
Aperture or diaphragm is a term for the lens opening. If likened to a window, the diaphragm is a kiray / curtain that can be opened or closed to adjust the amount of light entering. On the aperture camera is denoted by a small letter F and with units as follows:
f / 1.4
f / 1.8
f / 2.0
f / 2.8
f / 3.5
f / 4.0
and so on … The smaller the unit number, the bigger the lens opening (f / 1.4 the aperture is bigger than the f / 4.0, f / 2, 8 greater openings compared to f / 16).
So, the correlation between shutter speed and aperture is that the larger the lens opening, the shutter speed will be faster, conversely the smaller the lens opening, the shutter speed will be slower.